*All prices are in Canadian funds.
Urefil 3 Ceramic White Filler Gallon 3 Lbs (701413)
URE-FILŪ Fillers are low cost, lightweight fillers that are easily dispersed in most Smooth-On resins to attain different finishes and effects. Filler can act as an extender - lowering the cost of each casting.
URE-FILŪ 3 is a ceramic filler that is white in color and will give castings a ceramic or porcelain-like finish . Castings made using URE-FIL fillers will be lighter in mass and are often be easier to cut, sand, machine, and shape. URE-FIL can be added to thicken resins for brush-on application. These fillers are also economical extenders that will reduce the cost of each casting, depending on the amount of filler used.
URE-FILŪ Fillers are available as follows:
URE-FILŪ 3 is a ceramic filler that is white in color and will give castings a ceramic or porcelain-like finish.
URE-FILŪ 5 is a lightweight 'pecan flour' style filler that is your best choice for achieving a wood effect.
URE-FILŪ 7 provides dimensional stability, economy & improved flame resistance.
URE-FILŪ 9 fumed silica is a light, fluffy powder used to thicken Silicone Rubbers, Urethane Rubbers and Resins as well as Epoxy Resins.
URE-FILŪ 11 is a fiber-based filler that can be added to Smooth-On urethane and silicone rubbers, urethane plastics and epoxies to thicken for brush-on applications.
URE-FILŪ 15 - micro-balloons that can be added to Smooth-On urethane plastics and epoxies to create very light weight castings.
WHAT KIND OF FILLERS CAN I MIX INTO SMOOTH-ON RESINS?
Virtually any type of powder filler can be used in Smooth-On urethane resins. Some examples of powder fillers:
- UrefilŪ 3 Crushed Ceramic
- UrefilŪ 5 Woodgrain Simulator
- UrefilŪ 7 General Purpose (also flame retarder)
- Calcium Carbonate
- Metal Powders
- Play Sand
- Micro Balloons
- Granite Powder
You can attain different resin effects depending on the type and amount of filler that you add. For example, you can attain a realistic marble effect by adding Ure-FilŪ 7 and pigment to our Smooth-CastŪ 325 resin. You can make Smooth-CastŪ 320 plastic look just like wood by adding Ure-FilŪ 5 filler. By adding metal powder to Smooth-CastŪ 325 resin, your castings can have the look of bronze, copper, brass or other metals.
Many fillers cost a lot less than liquid plastics on a per lb./kg. basis. As a result, the more filler you add, the lower your cost per casting.
There are, however, factors that will affect how well a filler works for you and steps you can take...
1. Light vs. Heavy fillers Lightweight fillers will have a tendency to float in the resin and rise to the opening of your mold whereas heavy fillers will have a tendency to sink in the resin and fall to the mold surface. It is important to thoroughly mix the filler into resin to minimize this effect. Otherwise, castings may cure with areas of all resin and no filler and vice versa. This will create a weak or brittle casting.
2.Small vs. Large Particle Size -- Fillers of all sizes can be used to create various effects, however, keep in mind that the larger the particle size the weaker (brittle) the cured plastic will become. The reason for this is that there will be less urethane resin holding each individual particle together. Smaller particle sizes generally yield a more durable part.
3. Fillers, in general, tend to contain and/or absorb moisture. If filler does contain moisture, it will cause polyurethane resin to bubble or foam. Eliminating moisture content in fillers is accomplished by placing the filler flat on a metal plate or cookie baking sheet in an oven and "baking" it for a minimum of 2 hours at 150 F / 60 C. After "baking", allow filler to cool to room temperature and use promptly. If the filler is allowed to sit for extended periods, it may again absorb moisture.
4. Pre-mix filler thoroughly with Part B of the resin before adding Part A. Adding filler to resin that has both components already mixed (Part A + Part B) will limit your ability to thoroughly mix the resin.
5. How Much Filler can I add to the urethane resin? This will depend on the particle size of the filler. Smaller particle size fillers like cab-o-sil have a large surface area and will absorb resin very quickly. The amount of filler that you add to your resin mix (A+B) is up to you.
Other Things You Need To Know
Increased viscosity The viscosity of the resin/filler mix will increase in proportion to the amount of filler added. The thicker the resin and filler mix, the greater the chance for bubble entrapment.
Increased Working Time & Cure Time Pot life and demold time may be lengthened in proportion to the amount of filler added.
Note: The finished look of the casting will change with the amount of filler added.